Our team is growing so check back often for opportunities to work with us. We also provide recruitment services for select clients and post those positions here as well. Take a look the listings below, if something strikes your fancy, and you’ve got the goods, go ahead throw your hat in the ring. We look forward to hearing from you.
An Accounting Assistant has the important role of recorder of transactions and record keeper at CORBIN HILL FOOD PROJECT, a not for profit organization. The Accounting Assistant is primarily responsible for updating and maintaining accounting records, including revenue, expenditures, accounts payable and grants and accounts receivable, and profit and loss. See website for more information on CHFP corbinhill-foodproject.org.
CORBIN HILL FOOD PROJECT ‘s Accounting Assistant will have several key responsibilities:
- Ensure the timely recording and reporting of CORBIN HILL FOOD PROJECT’s financial transactions and operations by program and or grant.
- Monitor cash flow and frequently report to management.
- Participate in an effective interface between accounting, development and programs.
- Prepare and process payments to vendors by check, record and monitor accounts payable.
- Process bank deposits by preparing deposit slip, entering the data in the accounting system and making deposits at the bank.
- Record funds transfers and debit card transactions.
- Post journal entries as required.
- Process year end 1099’s.
- Record invoices for billing to wholesale customers.
- Prepare weekly Cash Flow analysis of revenue and expenditures in Dashboard.
- Participate in the annual audit process and perform other office duties as requested.
- Bachelors in Accounting or equivalent in experience preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years experience in non profit accounting preferred but not required.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office specifically Excel and Word.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Online preferred but not required.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively communicate in interactions with grantors and staff.
Pay commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kitchen Table Consultants Entrepreneurial Food & Farm Consultant
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
At Kitchen Table Consultants (KTC) our goal is simple – to help passionate farmers and food artisans build lasting, profitable, locally-focused businesses. We accomplish this by working alongside our clients. No stuffy business plans that get thrown on the shelf, never to be looked at again. We have real-world experience and bring that to our work every day. We have walked a mile in your shoes and understand first-hand the challenges facing small businesses. We are results oriented, and our work is about actionable steps to make your business or nonprofit stronger and more profitable.
This is a unique, entrepreneurial opportunity. Are you an entrepreneur that has something to share with other business owner? Do folks often ask you for advice? Are you a solo consultant that is looking for a collaborative, supportive team and operational support, while maintaining your independence?
We need someone with the same set of values to join our team. We don’t want someone just like us, but we do need you to have many of the following:
Characteristics & Experiences:
- Passion for small business and or Non-profit organizations (again, small).
- You need to have had at least 5 jobs (more is preferable) and/or multiple businesses.
- You should have had/have your own business, or at the very least, be intent upon having your own business in the near future. (guess what, we want to support that, too) Or have had a leadership role running someone else’s business and know what it is like to hire, fire and have felt the pain and fear of not making payroll.
- You have to have failed, pretty big, and you have to have learned from that failure and be able to share it.
You may have been fired, maybe more than once.
- You want to share your knowledge, experiences and expertise, to make sure others can learn from your mistakes.
- You understand the fine line between passion and emotion
- You know what will wake you up at night and you can explain that to a client.
- You probably “know it all”, but also can admit when you are wrong, quickly and without protecting your own ego/stature/reputation.
We are also looking for the following: (and if you have them all, then you should start your own firm…)
- Numbers: Excel, Quickbooks, Accounting, Bookkeeping, Forecasting, Budgeting, Cash Flow
- Marketing: Branding, community connecting, social media, strategy, networking,
- People skills: You have to be patient, but at the same time, hold your clients accountable and know when to answer their questions vs question their answers. You need to have compassion, but also hold their feet to the fire and you need to know when to fire yourself.
- Organizational: You can work by yourself, but also enjoy having an intense conversation. You can have an ego, but you need to know you do. You will have to have a thick skin and a quick wit, as we all don’t take ourselves too seriously.
- Technology: You need to know and own a highly functioning computer and smartphone. Word, Excel, Google Docs & Email proficiency are going to make or break you. A calendar in the cloud will keep us all connected. If any of this is foreign or scares you, let us know before we go too far, please.
What you get from us:
- Business cards
- Integrity, and a real drive to help leaders be successful
- A typical new business with bumps in the road, evolving systems, stuff we have not figured out yet
- Tools of the trade: Forms, processes, SOP’s, built in provider/supplier relationships
- Marketing: Website, existing growth, meaningful relationships in the community
- Proven History-successfully worked with over 100 clients since 2008
- Financial stability
- Desire to create a national consulting firm
- A shoulder to lean on 24×7, period. We’ve been there and done it (and screwed it up, too, but have learned from our mistakes and will share freely)
- Flexibility: Run your client base like it is your own business with meaningful support
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a 1099 position. We will pay you a significant amount of the fees you earn and will pay referral fees for clients you bring in for others on our team. Don’t kid yourself, this is entrepreneurial…, but we also provide a financial backstop–we pay immediately, don’t stretch your cashflow and even provide advances against future work when you need them.
CEO for PDB Group
PDB Group, a start-up, innovative, cutting-edge seafood company, is currently seeking a CEO to take the company to the next level (we had nearly $1MM in sales in 2016), over $10M in sales by 2020. This virtual position will work closely with the founder and chef creator as well as an involved board of investors.
Our founder has created, patented and sold, the most perfectly cooked Maine lobster tail you have ever tasted, succulent in texture and dressed with a rich butter sauce. With the first bite, your eyes close with pleasure, and then widen with disbelief that lobster – which comes with high expectations – could be even better than you expected it to be. Now imagine that this lobster tail is available at your beckoning, from your grocer’s freezer, and could be prepared perfectly in 3 minutes in your microwave. Not only is it delicious, but also the lobster is sustainably sourced, traceable to the boat and location where it was caught, along with a sauce that has also been crafted with care, with butter from a small dairy local dairy. You don’t have to imagine it, you can have it all.
We are currently seeking the next round of investment and a CEO to take the company to the next level, $10M in sales by 2020. Today, our product available in Wakefern stores, and select Costco and Sam’s Club stores, along with a handful of specialty retailers. The product has 3 SKUs – classic butter, scampi butter, and lemon butter – and pack size configurations of 1, 2 or 4 tails per box. The next phase of our product and brand will include the launch of a patented lobster cutlet, lobster mac & cheese, and lobster sauces, all of which have been prototyped in a production facility.
The best fit CEO for PDB Group would be an MBA with CPG C-level experience who is looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity to build equity in a fast growing company. The CEO should have experience with seafood market demand, raising funds, and growing relationships with retailers, along with enthusiasm to develop an off the shelf strategy for this product. Apply in confidence here.
Bookkeeper for Urban Tree Connection
Urban Tree Connection (UTC)’s mission is to work with residents in historically marginalized urban
communities to revitalize their neighborhoods by transforming abandoned open spaces into safe and
functional places that inspire and promote positive human interaction.
Bookkeeping is completed in QuickBooks Online weekly and can be done remotely, the Executive Director (ED) and Office Manager oversee all necessary documentation is uploaded to SharePoint. In addition to entering transactions, bills, and invoices, the Bookkeeper maintains the weekly cash flow tool and completes biweekly journal entries to allocate payroll across the appropriate departments. The Accountant closes the books at the end of the month, but the Bookkeeper gathers all necessary month-end information and reconciles the credit card account. This position works closely with the Executive Director, Office Manager, and Accountant.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Record day to day financial transactions for all accounts and complete the posting process.
- Ensure all transactions are accurately coded to the appropriate accounts and classes.
- Enter all bills and invoices; share list with ED and Office Manager for approval and to process payment.
- Create journal entries in QuickBooks as needed, primarily to allocate payroll across appropriate departments.
- Create and maintain weekly cash flow, incorporating balance sheet and upcoming changes to income and expenses.
- Send monthly PNLs to Executive Director and department heads; prepare financial reports for grant applications and reporting as necessary.
- Prepare books for Accountant for end of month closing.
- File bookkeeping documentation appropriately to maintain thorough financial records.
- Follow financial procedures; provide financial procedures coaching to staff; with Executive Director, revise financial procedures as necessary.
- Develop annual budget and reforecast templates with E.D. and support process as needed.
- Generate financial reports as needed; Assist with audits, 1099 preparation, tax preparation as needed.
- Education: Must have obtained a high school diploma and/or G.E.D. equivalency. College degree, and
experience strongly preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of experience managing books for a non-profit organization with a
detailed COA and multiple classes.
- Education: Must have obtained a high school diploma and/or G.E.D. equivalency. College degree, and
- Skills: Proficiency with QuickBooks Online and Microsoft Office, solid understanding of basic
bookkeeping and accounting payable/receivable principles, attention to detail, data entry skills along
with a knack for numbers.
- Other Characteristics: Commitment to social justice; respect for people of all cultures and backgrounds.
UTC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, working class people,
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and two professional references to email@example.com by Aug 5, 2017, with the subject line ‘Bookkeeper Position’.
Executive Director for FRESHFARM
FRESHFARM is a non-profit organization whose mission is to build and strengthen the local, sustainable food movement in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. We do this by operating producer-only farmers markets that provide vital economic opportunities for local farmers and artisanal producers, and through innovative outreach programs that educate the public about food and related environmental issues.
FRESHFARM is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS
FRESHFARM is a non-profit, founded in 1997, that promotes sustainable agriculture and improves food access and equity in the Mid-Atlantic Region. We do this by operating producer-only farmers markets that provide vital economic opportunities to local farmers and food producers and through innovative philanthropic outreach programs that educate the public about food and related environmental issues.
OUR MARKETS AND PROGRAMS
FRESHFARM operates 15 producer-only farmers markets with more than 150 farmers and producers and is the largest operator of ‘producer only’ farmers markets in the DELMARVA region. Our markets attract more than 450,000 shoppers annually. In addition, FRESHFARM operates FoodPrints – a food and nutrition education program, and conducts a variety of other education and outreach activities. These programs inform residents about sustainable food, health, nutrition, and community engagement through the lens of locally produced food. They promote organically grown products and help make freshly grown products available to people of all income levels.
FRESHFARM is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization with a current full-time staff of 11, approximately 25 part-time employees and an operating budget of over $2 million.
FRESHFARM is seeking an Executive Director (ED) who is an experienced executive-level leader with a strong track record of success in organization management (non-profit management a strong plus). The ED is responsible for managing the senior staff, who in turn oversees the managers and volunteers in the operation of our markets and programs. The ED is responsible for close monitoring and coordination of financial and fundraising operations of the organization to meet financial targets, developing and implementing HR policies, and modeling desired organizational behavior. The ability to manage people effectively, foster collaboration and build a positive, high performance culture is essential.
- Communicate the organization’s vision to stakeholders; lead the team in implementation of that vision;
- Work collaboratively with the Board and staff, and liaise between the two, to achieve Board approved financial and operational targets;
- Meet regularly with the Board keeping the membership abreast of operations, achievements and all areas of success and challenge; receive feedback and modify approaches accordingly; make recommendations and communicate regularly with the Board regarding plans for development, budgeting, resource allocation, tracking and reporting;
- Drive all aspects of fundraising and philanthropic development;
- Oversee the hiring, training, workflow, retention, performance appraisals, and professional development of staff;
- Act as principal spokesperson/liaison, and advocate with the media, farmers/producers, and other organizations, outside vendors, partners, and government agencies;
- Promote and advance FRESHFARM’s mission and vision, and assure the organization keeps pace with marketplace and regulatory developments.
- 7-10+ years of experience in an integral, senior operational role leading and managing teams to tangible outcomes; Master’s degree preferred;
- Demonstrated success managing organizational dynamics and behavior including change management; non-profit management experience a strong plus;
- Knowledge of sustainable food, related systems, public education or similar fields preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, mentor and effectively lead and manage staff, fostering a positive culture of collaboration, transparency, team building and professional development;
- Demonstrated ability to secure grants, steward individual donors, successfully drive fundraising, and engage the Board in fundraising efforts;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, conflict resolution and communication skills;
- Capacity to both design and build protocols for organizational success;
- Strong organizational financial acumen, attention to detail and a successful track record of financial management;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; technical/software proficiency (skill in use of social media, a plus);
- Unquestioned professional and personal ethical standards and integrity.
This is a full-time, exempt position which involves occasional work on weekends and evenings. The compensation package includes a competitive salary, workers’ compensation coverage, earned sick leave, and paid vacation and holidays. Healthcare benefits are provided after a three-month probationary period.
Please send a cover letter and resume to FRESHFARM ED Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “FF ED Position” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please include a statement about your experience in change management and how your experience is relevant to the organization.
All applications must be received by July 31st, 2017. All correspondence and submissions are to be sent via email. Please be prepared to have references submitted upon request.